Pages

black and white

3/14/11

Chili Lime Steak Salad (Our Best Bites)

If I had a way to put scents on here for people to smell I would get 500 more followers just off this recipe alone!! I had some friends stop by to help us with something for a minute and I had them try the meat and they thought it was WONDERFUL!!!!
This recipe starts out as a steak then you can eat it that way or serve it on a salad like I did. I even think you could throw it in a tortilla like a fajita.No matter what you do with it, it will be amazing!
I got this recipe out of OUR BEST BITES new cookbook, this is an amazing cookbook! It is available through Deseret Book or on Amazon!

Chili-lime Steak

1-2 lbs boneless steak (flank steak works well)

Rub
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. granulated garlic (ok so I didn't have any of this so I found out you can use garlic powder but its not the same amount: 1/8 tsp. garlic powder= 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/8-1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper*
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 lime juiced ( about 2 Tbsp. lime juice)
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
* For a smoky rub, chipotle chili powder may be substituted for the cayenne pepper.

For the rub, combine all the spices together in a bowl. Add  lime juice and olive oil and stir to combine.
Place the steak in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour the spice mixture over the steak and then rub it with your hands. Allow the steak to stand for 15 minutes. While the meat is standing, preheat your grill.
Place the steak on the grill over mdm-high heat and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until desired doneness is reached. Remove from grill and allowed to sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Slice steak against the grain into strips about 1/4" thick.

---Now I was wanting to have the meat all ready when I got home from church so I cut my steaks into slices first. Then I made the rub and poured it all all over the meat (in a bag) and let it marinade in it for about 4 hours. Turning and rubbing it every hour. Then I just cooked it in a skillet with a little evoo with an onion until it had reached desired temperature.

Now here's where you decide what to do with your meat! We decided to do a salad.

1 bag romaine lettuce
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed in cold water
1-2 avocados- sliced or made into guacamole
1 1/2 lbs. chili lime steak
cilantro for garnish (opt.)
crispy corn tortilla strips (opt. they also have a recipe for this in their book)

Creamy Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing (Our Best Bites)

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk or milk ( I used buttermilk, which you can make if you don't have any...1 cup milk, and 2 Tbsp. white vinegar or lemon juice)
1 lime, juiced (about 2 Tbsp.)
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix(ignore the directions on packet)
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1/4 cup green salsa
hot sauce (like Cholula or Tabasco) to taste

Mix mayo, milk, lime juice, and the dry ranch dressing into a blender. Add garlic, cilantro and green salsa, blend thoroughly to mix all ingredients. Season with hot sauce, if desired. If possible refrigerate for several hours to allow the dressing to thicken and the flavors to meld.

As you can tell I did add a few jalapenos to my salad but you don't really need them it has enough spice!

No comments: