Pages

black and white

6/23/11

Rhubarb Pie (allrecipes.com)

Tis the Season for rhubarb sprouting up all over and begging to be made into some sort of dessert or jam. I love rhubarb no matter what its in or even plain sprinkled with a little salt. This was actually my first rhubarb pie I had ever made. My momma usually makes them for everyone so I just wait for that lol. However I had some that needed to be used so I thought I would find a quick & easy recipe and go for it! SUCCESS!!!

5 cups chopped rhubarb
1 2/3 cups white sugar
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 refrigerated double crust pie crust

Mix sugar & flour together. Press bottom crust into a 9" pan. Sprinkle about 1/4 c. of flour & sugar mix into crust. THIS IS MANDATORY to make a nice crisp crust so its not soggy. Place the rhubarb in the crust and sprinkle with remaining flour/sugar mixture. Top with pieces of butter.Top with top crust. Pinch edges, sprinkle with a little more sugar just to dust the top. Bake @ 450 for 15 minutes then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.

Now to anyone who has never had rhubarb: Rhubarb is a little sour but all the sugar helps out with this BUT this pie is exceptional served with vanilla ice cream!!!!

1 comment:

Teauna said...

I have never had a rhubarb pie. I have made strawberry rhubarb and blubarb, so now I have to try this! Too funny that we were both making yummy rhubarb dishes the same day! You're right... great minds think alike! :)