Pages

black and white

11/14/13

Ham and Potato soup

allrecipe.com

Can you ever have too many soup recipes? I have a huge bag of potatoes that I need to use up and I grew up on potato soups so what better way to use them (besides a baked potato) then in a soup its a win win right ;) I however am not a fan of ham but trying to be an awesome mother and wife I still make ham for my family because they love it. I made one the other night and had sooo much leftover so after making grilled cheese with ham (mine was grilled cheese with jalapenos) I decided to make this soup. I was shocked how much I actually liked it I didn't even pick my ham out...nope I just pulled my big girl pants up and ate it. In fact this may be one of my favorite soup recipes! So don't blow this one off because you are picky like me :) Try it you may like it. On the original post about this the lady says the best part is you can use as many potatoes or as much ham as you want and boy did I ever. I decided that more goes further so I added what I thought was a good amount and it was pure HOT deliciousness!!!



3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery (I left this out because I didn't have any and you know how I feel about running to the store for one thing)
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk


Directions
Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

No comments: