Pages

black and white

11/4/13

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Allrecipes.com

I don't know about you but I have been freezing my behind off. Winter is coming and I am not excited. I am not a winter person, I don't like to be cold at all. I am not one of those fun moms that go out and throw snowballs in the winter and I rarely help make snowmen. I'm not a scrooge or anything I just hate the cold! I am living in the wrong area I know. The best part of winter is hands down homemade soups!! There are so many possibilities some using leftovers some that you make a ton and then eat them for leftovers all week. This one made the whole house smell so yummy we couldn't wait to eat it. THIS IS MADE IN THE CROCK POT SO IT DOES TAKE AWHILE TO COOK!! After its all done you can place toppings on the table for people to garnish with. Toppings can include: cheese, avocado, fresh squeezed lime juice, etc.




1 pound shredded, cooked chicken ( I did this in the crock pot the day before)
1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
I ADDED a can of black beans to ours and it was great!!
2 cups water
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
7 corn tortillas*
vegetable oil*




Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.

**Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.

Now if you don't want to make your own tortilla strips then you can do what we did and just use corn tortilla chips it just keeps life a little simpler.

No comments: