Pages

black and white

5/1/13

Homemade Hamburger Buns (or hotdog buns)

allrecipe.com

I really get tired of having to run to town for one thing really it SuCkS!!!! Lets be honest you go in for one thing and you come out with 12 and most of it isn't things you need!!! Ok maybe its just me but it never fails I swear! Anyways we try and do burger night once a week because my family loves burgers and it also helps because we don't need to go out for a good burger!

So I pulled a package of ground beef out and realized I didn't have buns and that's when I decided I was going to find a good recipe and make my own.

I made this recipe early in the am so that if it wasn't good I could make something else but I really liked the taste the problem was they weren't big enough. I made another batch and paid attention to the size more and they turned out perfect!! The burgers tasted soo much better to me with these than the store boughten buns!! This recipe says it makes 12 but I found it actually only made about 6/8 for the right size. I DOUBLED my batch and made some into rolls just to eat because any time I pull fresh bread out the hubs has to eat one hot!!

The results were amazing!!! I don't think I have had a better burger seriously!!! I cut the buns in half and toasted both sides. You could butter/egg the tops and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you wanted too.




1 cup milk

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup butter

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast

2 tablespoons white sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 egg


Directions:

In a small bowl add milk, water, and butter. Cook in microwave until butter is melted. (the original recipe said to cook on the the stove but this is quicker) DO NOT LET MILK BOIL

In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix milk mixture into flour mixture, and then mix in egg. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. (I let mine rise for about an hour before rolling out into balls)

Divide dough into 6-12 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls, and place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cover, and let rise for 30 to 35 minutes.

Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.

For Hot Dog Buns: Shape each piece into a 6x4 inch rectangle. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly, and pinch edges and ends to seal. Let rise about 20 to 25 minutes. Bake as above.


Yields about 6-8 regular sized hamburger buns

No comments: