Pages

black and white

10/27/11

Rhubarb Cake with Vanilla Sauce (Taste of Home)

I don't know about you but I LOVE RHUBARB!!! I could just eat it with a little bit of salt & be good!! We were raised doing this so it was very rare to have any left to cook with lol.

My mom made this one day (when nobody beat her to the rhubarb ;)and it was great! I was really skeptical about the rhubarb with caramel but after much twisting of my arm I tried it and kept trying it lol!

2 Tbsp. butter softnened (not margarine)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups chopped fresh or frozen (thawed) rhubarb

Streusel Topping:
1/4 sup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp butter melted

Vanilla Sauce
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl cream butter & sugar. Beat in egg. In a seperate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to cream mixture. Alternately add buttermilk beating just until moist. Fold in rhubarb. Pour into greased 9" square baking dish.

Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool.

Sauce:
melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar & milk. Bring to a boil. Cook & stir for 2-3 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Serve over cake.

No comments: